Saturday, April 18, 2015

Internet and blogs: Caring about complete strangers

It's interesting how people come from different places, meet up somehow (physially or otherwise), their paths intertwine for a while and they affect each others' lives, and then move apart again. The world is indeed smaller than we think, and internet has made it smaller.

For example, I follow a large number of blogs almost daily. Some blogs are written by near friends of mine, some by best-selling authors, or by fans. And some by kinky people. I don't comment much, because 99% of my reading is done on my phone, but I read a lot.

The three kinky blogs, and therefore bloggers, that I care for the most are Ferrett, Ferns and Thumper (and though Thumper I've also started to really care about Drew). As it turns out, some of my favorite people know of each other. For example, Drew (Thumper's lover) recently met Ferns. Which is awesome.

I've followed those first three for several years, and they've had direct influence on my life. I've actually messaged with Ferrett, as has my husband, and I've put his new book Flex on my wish list. When Ferret's goddaughter died, I cried my eyes out. I felt raw, numb with grief, for this child that I've never met and whom I have no relation with. Ferrett is also a highly intelligent man with many interesting opinions, about anything from sex to politics, and I love to read his posts and use them as food for thought.

Ferns is a dominant woman, like me, and her blog has been a source of inspiration for many a kinky, sadistic, steaming hot play session. When she published her book I bought it, and I'm currently re-reading it in little nibbles every night. It keeps giving me ideas for things to do, or reminds me of things I've done or felt, and so makes it hard to sleep. But it's worth it.

Though I care deeply for both Ferrett and Ferns, Thumper has a very special place in my heart. I've read his blog the longest, and it's the only blog that I've read the entire archive of (which wasn't that large when I started). I feel like I've known him longer than many of my real life friends (and yes I know that the blog persona is not the real person).

I started experimenting with chastity on my subs because of Thumpers blog, but not only that. His journey into some version of an open relationship, in many ways mirror my own. And although T is a lot more involved in the kink community than Thumper's Belle, I still see some similarities comparing them. (Please excuse inaccuracies of expression, spelling mistakes and grammar mishaps. English is not my first language. For example, I don't mean to imply that Belle in any way belongs to Thumper, I just couldn't think of another way to put it.)

I started this blog entry because I'd just posted a comment (for something like the second time ever) on Thumper's blog, where I said that I care about his well being. And then I realized, that is kind of weird. He has no idea who I am, I've never met him and probably never will (though Thumper, if you or Drew are ever in Norway, please get in touch). And yet I care. Just liked I worried for Ferrett when he got his heart attack, and smiled when he forced himself to eat bad blueberries. I wondered how the kissing date Ferns had planned would go. I felt happy for Thumper when his first meeting with Drew went so well, and furious alongside Drew when he got some homophobic comments. When you follow somebody's writing for long enough, you start to care.

And that's nice.

I just wanted you four to know that you have a fan, and a friend (should you want one) here in Oslo. I still won't comment much. But I read on, and I think of you (in a not crazy, not stalking kind of way!). :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I read your comment on Thumper's blog and found yours through extension. Thank you for your kind words about him and about me as well. Trust me, as a long time reader of Thumper before I landed in the middle of his real life world, I get the "weirdness" of caring for strangers and still sometimes laugh that he is just now in my actual day to day. After meeting Ferns, it feels that strange as well.

    But, all that to say very nice post about and keep caring about who you read and comment!

    Again, many thanks to you.

    All my best,

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I read your comment on Thumper's blog and found yours through extension. Thank you for your kind words about him and about me as well. Trust me, as a long time reader of Thumper before I landed in the middle of his real life world, I get the "weirdness" of caring for strangers and still sometimes laugh that he is just now in my actual day to day. After meeting Ferns, it feels that strange as well.

    But, all that to say very nice post about and keep caring about who you read and comment!

    Again, many thanks to you.

    All my best,

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drew. :)

      (And a tiny fangirl squeee. One of Them just posted a comment on my blog! :P )

      Delete